Thursday, March 05, 2009

What I Saw and How I Lied


Wow chicka pow! I just finished reading What I Saw and How I Lied, by Judy Blundell. Hmm, what can I say without giving away too much? The dust jacket says that Joe is Evie's father, but really, he's her stepfather. He gets back from World War II and he, her mother, and Evie start getting their lives back together while living in Joe's mother's house. Sound like a good time? Joe gets a strange phone call and then decides that he's taking the family to Florida for vacation without grandma. I know, it's pretty obvious something is up and let me tell you, you get that feeling a lot in this book. A handsome young veteran shows up to throw a whole lot more than a dash of romance and intrigue into the mix. What's more, a couple that Evie's parents befriends turns out to mean more to her than lipstick and cocktail dresses. This was a really great read! Be sure to read the acknowledgements in the back, Blundell cites many, if not all, of the books that she uses for historical and linguistic reference. Brava!

No comments: